x
Browse
180 Physicians Online

Question:

Blood clots during Nose Bleed

I am 21 and this morning my nose started bleeding. I bled for over 20 minutes, heavily, and the blood was bright red. About 15 mins into the nosebleed, i felt like something was stuck at the back of my nose,throat. When I lifted my head, I felt something in my mouth so I spit it out and it was a bright red blod clot. What's wrong with me?

Answer:

Nose bleeds can be quite disconcerting and I do understand your concern. The picture that you have attached is most probably a blood clot that you spat out. Bleeding from the nose is usually due to infections, trauma (when you pick your nose), allergies, medications causing thinning of blood.
If your bleeding does not stop on pressure or incease, you will have to show it to a otolaryngologist to determine the cause of the bleeding and apply a nose pack.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA