Blood from Rectum but Not Sure of the Cause

Patient: Hello! I am an eighteen year old female. For quite awhile (maybe two years or so?) I will get occasionally uncomfortable to pass stool. When this happens, there is usually some blood involved. I tried using stool softener, which did help, but I avoid using it too much because I know it’s possible for the body to become dependent on it. I attributed this to anal fissures Over time, it has definitely became more common to have uncomfortable passings. Blood isn’t always present though. A few times though, I’ll notice blood with the stool, and then later when go to urinate, I’ll notice a streak of bright red blood in the toilet which came from the rectum. This happened today and I did have some abdominal pain this morning (this event happened this evening) but that could easily be because I will start my period in the next few days and I get heavy cramps. What could be happening?

Symptoms: Symptoms: Blood in stool, blood from rectum

Doctor: Thank you for your question. It is possible that your bleeding could be caused by hemorrhoids. Hemorrhoids are enlarged blood vessels in the anal canal which can rupture and bleed. Another possible cause of your bleeding may be due to an intestinal bleed which could be caused by many different causes. We strongly recommend that you follow up with your doctor. If diagnosed with hemorrhoids, you will be prescribed suppositories to reduce the inflammation and bleeding and facilitate healing of these possible hemorrhoids. Please see your doctor.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com