Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Blood in my cough

Blood in my cough

Patient: I got blood in my cough this morning, should i be worried?

Doctor: There are many possible reasons for presence of blood in cough. This could be due to respiratory tract infections, pneum onia, bronchitis, tuberculosis. Less common causes are lung cancer, bronchiectasis, foreign body and cardiac causes including congestive cardiac failure and mitral stenosis.This warrants investigation no matter what your age group, especially if there is a previous history of smoking. I advise attending your family doctor for a detailed history and clinical examination to confirm a diagnosis in your case. Your doctor may order a chest x-ray, sputum microscopy and culture to help determine the cause of your symptoms.