Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Blood in semen after sex

Blood in semen after sex

Patient: Why is it everytime me and my girl have sex my siemen is full of blood

Doctor: Blood in the semen (hematosperia) can be a frightening experience. However, more often than not, the cause is benign. Th e most common cause of this symptoms is recent prostate surgery including a prostate biopsy. Other causes include inflammation or infection of the prostate or urethra (tube leading from bladder through the penis which allows for passage of sperm and urine), tumors of the prostate and seminal vesicles as well as bleeding disorders. Without further information and an examination I am unable to say which , if any, of these is the cause in your case. You will need to see a urologist to get definitive answers.