Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Blood in semen – what is the cause?

Blood in semen – what is the cause?

Patient: What does it mean if there is blood in your seimen? There is not blood in my urine, only in my siemen. I have never had any medical issues. and I feel nothing wrong with me. But when i ejaculate, there is blood mixed in with my siemen. It is not an STD, I have been with the same partner for a while.is it something major? kidney failure?

Doctor: It can be a frightening experience to see blood in semen. This is actually a fairly common occurrence in men of all ages s. There are number of causes, most of which are insignificant. The most common cause is a recent prostate biopsy. Other causes include prostate infections, direct trauma to the prostate, infections of the urethra (tubular structure which carries urine and semen), some sexually transmitted diseases, bleeding disorders and diseases of the seminal vesicles. The seminal vesicles are a pair of organs in the pelvis that help with the production of semen. Sometimes no cause of blood in the semen is identified. Cancer very rarely causes blood in the semen. Most cases of blood in the semen resolve without any treatment since the causes are benign. You may continue to examine the semen for anymore episodes of bleeding over the next two months. Should you see a recurrence or should there be heavy bleeding see your urologist.