Blood in sperm - what does it mean?

Patient

Q: I had sex last night and when I ejaculated, blood was in my sperm, what does mean?

Doctor

A:   Blood in the semen (hematospermia) causes concern for most men. It is actually a fairly common occurrence in men of all ages. There are number of causes, most of which are insignificant. Prostate infections, direct trauma to the prostate, infections of the urethra (tubular structure which carries urine and semen), some sexually transmitted diseases, bleeding disorders and diseases of the seminal vesicles, all can cause blood in the semen.
Most cases of blood in the semen may resolve on their own but may require investigations and a visit to the urologist if bleeding is consistent.