Blood in stool

Patient

Q: Starting this month i have been having a bleeding issue. When i use the restroom there is blood in my stool. i am a emt and only know a little but i know enough to know that since it isnt black and already clotted then it is comming from my lower end and not around my stomach. it doe3snt hurt to use the restroom but there is enough blood being passed to color the water red. what would be the cause of that and how urgent would i need to be seen. i just moved out of state and am still looking for a job and dont have insurance. what do you think would cause this bleeding.

Doctor

A:   Finding blood in the toilet or after wiping certainly can cause concern in anyone. However, let me reassure you that due to the characteristics of bright red and due to your young age, it might have probably been caused by a non serious etiology.
If you suffer from constipation, common causes like hemorrhoids or anal fissure might develop. Painless rectal bleeding with a bowel movement is a common symptom of hemorrhoids. Bright red blood typically coats the stool or blood may drip into the toilet or stain toilet paper. If you put too much tension to defecate, anal fissure might also be a possibility. Other more complex causes like polyps, diverticulosis and colitis could also cause bleeding, however other symptoms would be present as well. I would suggest you that if you have constipation, treat it with more fluids, increasing fiber in your diet, exercise and over the counter stool softeners. Check your Hemoglobin levels as soon as possible and consult your PCP for a more detailed examination to rule out these possibilities. I wish you a prompt recovery.