Blood in stool

Patient : When i have a bowel movement there is a little blood in it, should i be worried
Doctor :   I realize how worried you are about finding blood in your stool. Let me reassure you that usually this is caused by a no t so serious condition, small amount of blood after wiping, on the outside of your stool, or in the toilet is most commonly caused by hemorrhoids or an anal fissure. Being constipated increases the chances of having one of these conditions, I would certainly suggest you that if you noticed blood in your stools in several occasions, consult your PCP to rule out the possibility of bleeding hemorrhoids or fissure with a simple examination. On the other hand, if you noticed burning type of pain in your abdomen, other possibilities such as ulcers or gastritis might need to be ruled out as well. In the meantime avoid alcohol, spicy foods, anti inflammatory medications and smoking. I wish you a prompt recovery.