Blood In Stool After Pregnancy

Patient

Q: I am 21 years old, I had a baby a year ago, natural birth. A week ago, after going to the bathroom I noticed a lot of blood in my stool. It is a bright red color. It hurts while going to the bathroom, aching and burning feeling.

Doctor

A:   The blood in stool could be due to hemorrhoid or an anal fissure. Hemorrhoids are very often seen during pregnancy and the growing uterus compresses on the abdominal vessels. The primary step in the management of hemorrhoids are lifestyle modification such as increased fiber in diet and adequate hydration. Sometimes over the counter analgesic creams and ointment containing hydrocotisone can be applied to relieve the symptoms ( these should not be used more than a week). If the bleeding is persistent treatment available are rubber band ligation, sclerotherapy, hemorrhoidectomy and hemorrhoid stapling.