Blood in stool- Should I be concerned?

Patient

Q: For the past couple months I have noticed blood in my stool. I am not in any pain at all.. I am not constipated.. The color of the stool is normal color which is brown.. But I have noticed that there is blood in it.. Should I be really concerned?

Doctor

A:   Blood in stools, during or after defecation could be because of hemorhoids, anal fissure,malabsorption , infection or other conditions like ulcerative colitis or chrons and in some cases even colon cancer. Though you are very young to have colon cancer, the other above mentioned conditions may be leading to the problem. Please consult your family physician for an analysis of your stool and other tests if needed. While this may not be a major issue it is still important to get it checked up and see what is causing the same and treat it. All the best.