Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Blood in stool, Stomach Cramping

Blood in stool, Stomach Cramping

Patient: For the past 3 days I have had red blood in my stool and on the toilet paper when I wipe, When it first started so much blood came out it looked like I was on my period, My stomach is cramping. Should I go to the ER?

Symptoms: Red blood in stool

Doctor: HelloThank you posting your query on “Ask the Doctor”Bleeding per rectum which is fresh and not mixed with stools ols suggest the source of bleeding lies in rectum or anal canal.Piles (internal haemorrhoids) are the common condition in which such picture is seen. It may be painless sometimes. Another similar bleeding is seen in the case of diverticulitis.Fissure ano also cause bleeding and it is painful.In dysentery, usually the blood is mixed with stools.Crohn’s disease and Ulcerative colitis also give rise to fresh bleeding PR but usually associated with other symptoms like colicky pain in the abdomen.You are advised to contact your Doctor immediately.Hope this helps.