Blood in Stools Stress or Diet Related?

Patient

Q: Hello, I am 21 years old and I have been experiencing bloody stools accompanied by pain while passing stools. There is almost always the pain, which I am guessing is probably due to a tear that never quite healed, but I have only seen blood three times, and these episodes have been as far as a year apart. Sometimes I also have quite a bit of gas and bloating, but other than that I have had no problems.

I would like to know if these symptoms are cause for serious alarm, and if I could try something like a (safe) detox or vegan diet, or stress management, to reduce these symptoms, before going to a doctor about this. I currently not eat red meat or poultry. I am a college student and I am constantly, constantly stressed to the point of anxiety, so I was thinking this may be stress-related as well.

Thank you!

Doctor