Blood in the nasal cavity.

Q: The other day I was the victim of an attempted robbery at a gas station were I was struck in the forehead and below the eye several times by a fist. This was three days ago and I have been spitting up traces of blood ever since. Also, each morning I have woken up with a congested nose, and when I blow it out, there is nothing but blood. I was wondering what could possibly be wrong with me and if it could be serious.

A:   You should take the injury seriously as it seems the trauma you suffered has injured your sinuses. You may even have a fracture of one of the facial bones. You should get a CT scan to identify the nature of the injuries. Injuries to the sinuses usually require a course of antibiotics to prevent an infection and other potential complications. I strongly suggest that you see a physician to confirm the sinus injury and begin the appropriate treatment.