Blood in the Semen

Q: I am a 58 y/o gay male. Yesterday I noticed blood in my seman. There is no blood in urin or bowels. I do masterbate at least once a day and sometimes more. Any ideals?

A:   Blood in the semen (hematospermia) can occur from several conditions. It is rarely associated with cancer. The most common cause of blood in the semen is following a prostate biopsy. Other causes include trauma, infections of the prostate and urethra (tube leading from bladder to penis), some general infections such as Tuberculosis and HIV and bleeding disorders. Prostate cancer is a very rare cause as well. Since most of the causes of hematospermia resolve without any treatment, you may simply continue to monitor your semen (assuming this is the only symptom you have) and if the bleeding persists see your doctor.