Blood in the semen

Patient : What does it mean when a man has blood in his semen?
Doctor :   Blood in the semen (hematospermia) is relatively common complaint. There are numerous causes of this symptoms, most of w hich are fortunately benign. The most common cause is recent surgery on the prostate, such as prostate biopsy. Other causes include enlarge blood vessels in the prostate, inflammation/infections of the prostate, inflammation/infection of the urethra (tube leading from bladder through the penis that transports both urine and semen) bleeding disorders as well as prostate cancer. You should have this symptom checked out by your physician who will perform the appropriate tests to zero-in on the diagnosis.