Blood in the urine

Patient

Q: I am 47 year old man and blood comes out when urinating what is my problem? and what can i do?

Doctor

A:   Blood in the urine can be visible to the naked eye (macroscopic) or detected with a urine dipstick test (microscopic).
The most common cause of blood in the urine is due to stone formation in the urinary tract. However blood may also be present in the urine secondary to infection of the urinary tract; inflammation of the kidney (glomerulonephritis); malignant disease of the urinary tract such as kidney, bladder or prostate; bleeding or clotting disorders.
Your symptoms warrant further investigation and I would advise attending your family physician for a detailed history of your symptoms, physical examination, urine sampling, and blood tests to measure kidney function.