Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Blood on OB ultrasound

Blood on OB ultrasound

Patient: I am 7 weeks pregnant with my third baby and i just had a dating ultrasound. The pictures showed a healthy baby with a heartbeat of 130, but there was blood shown in there as well. My doctor called it a hemorrhage and said that my cervix is closed and the blood will just re-absorb, but i have never heard of such a thing. I am not bleeding at all or have any other pain besides the normal streaching pains. If you could please shead some light on this that would be wonderful.

Doctor: Vaginal bleeding during pregnancy can be scary. It’s common, however, and it isn’t always a sign of trouble. Most women who experience vaginal bleeding during pregnancy particularly during the first trimester (weeks one through 12) go on to deliver healthy babies. However since apparently you were not bleeding form your vagina but found after an ultrasound the presence of blood, the most probable condition might have been the presence of a subchorionic hematoma which is the most common finding by ultrasound in the first trimester.The subchorionic hematoma often regresses, especially if it is small or moderate in size. Large hematomas, which strip at least 30-40% of placenta away from endometrium, may enlarge further, compressing the gestational sac and leading to premature rupture of membranes with consequent spontaneous abortion. I would suggest you to comply with your doctor’s indications and keep your ultrasound controls up to date, if you start feeling cramps and notice blood through your vagina seek immediate help to rule out a possible miscarriage. I wish you the best.