Blood on toilet paper after stools.

Patient : Dear Doctor, I have twice (not consecutively)had blood on the toilet paper after passing stools. Is this something to worry about? I do not suffer from constipation but I do have some IBS symtoms sometimes. It was worse when I was younger, but now I am 49 and it seems to be better. Thank you Jennifer
Doctor :   I understand how worried you are about blood found in stools. Since you suffer from IBS but deny constipation lately, op tions such as hemorrhoids or anal fissure due to strain might still be possible and should also be ruled out. On the other hand, due to your age, I would suggest you to consult your PCP and start for a more detailed evaluation; he might start with a simple CBC and a Stool Occult blood test to rule out other more complex possibilities such as polyps or diverticulitis. In the meantime I would suggest you to watch for signs of fever and painful diarrhea with blood and mucous that might also suggest and intestinal infection, if these happen seek immediate attention, antibiotics might need to be started soon. I wish you a prompt recovery.