Blood Pregnancy Tests and Patient Confidentiality

Q: I am wondering if my gf can only test positive for pregnancy through a blood test, if there are places or clinics that offer that in confidentiality ?

A:   Yes, there are blood tests for pregnancy. The best time to do this is 5-6 weeks after her last menstrual period (Day 1 of her previous period), although it is still sensitive a few to several weeks after missing her period. Medical technologists or lab technicians (the ones who does these tests), like doctors, are legally obliged to patient confidentiality; it is unethical and illegal to divulge information of a certain patient to others. The results should only be between the patient, the lab technician and the doctor. It will be up to the patient’s discretion to inform or not to inform others. I hope this helps.