Blood pressure medication alternatives

Patient: I have been diagnosed with high blood pressure and have been on 50mg toporol xl and 35 mg metoprolol hctz and on 10 mg amlodipine. Is there another high blood pressure medicine beside Toporopl that I could take because I have been suffering with depression and one research doctor said it might be because of the Toporol. The doctor who prescribed it will not listen to me about interaction between totporal and depressions.

Doctor: Toprol-XL is a beta-blocker medication, called metoprolol. Metoprolol hctz is a combination medication of the beta-block er metoprolol and a thiazide diuretic, hydrochlorothiazide. Amlodipine is a calcium channel blocker. These medications may all be used in the treatment of high blood pressure. Side-effects of beta blockers can include fatigue, abnormal sexual function, dizziness, drowsiness, and insomnia. Depression has been reported as a side-effect, also this occurs less frequently. If you are taking metoprolol simply for blood pressure control and not to control the heart rate, due to a heart rhythm abnormality, it may be possible to discontinue the beta-blocker and replace it with an ACE inhibitor or Angiotensin II receptor blocker. I would advise discussing alternative blood pressure treatments with your family physician, for a suitable prescription without unwanted side-effects.