Blood pressure of 80/40. Is this alarming?

Patient

Q: I got my blood pressure checked earlier by a medical intern. My BP was 80/40. She tried taking my BP again but it was still 80/40. Is a BP of 80/40 considered normal? when I got my BP checked last year, my BP was 80/60. But now it's down to 80/40. i am just a little concerned if this BP should alarm me or not. Should I have myself checked by a doctor soon? Is it also normal to experience orthostatic hypotension symptoms (e.g. getting dizzy when standing up from sitting position or sitting up from a lying position) everyday? I've noticed that I frequently feel lightheaded and my vision dims for a while when getting up from bed or from prolonged sitting. Need some advice please.

Symptoms:  orthostatic hypotension symptoms (e.g. getting dizzy when standing up from sitting position or sitting up from a lying position) everyday; I've noticed that I frequently feel lightheaded and my vision dims for a while when getting up from bed or from prolonged sitting
Doctor

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

Yes, the Blood pressure of 80/40 is alarming and this is not normal.

Your BP readings are suggestive of hypo tension, needs to be regularly monitored in both the right & left limbs. Repeatedly if you are getting lower values its a matter of concern & needs to be thoroughly evaluated.

Orthostatic hypotension occurs because of sudden change of posture. Rare incidence of it in an otherwise young healthy individual is a normal phenomena & could be just circumstantial due to excessive heat, exercise, inadequate sleep, dehydration, side effects of medicines like viagra, tranquilizer etc. Orthostatic hypotension causes transient decrease of blood supply to the brain leading to dizzyness, palor dim vision etc. Prolonged hypotension may become serious.

If its happening frequently, you need to consult your physician/ cardiologist for proper examination & management.

Meanwhile keep your dear ones informed about your condition & should you have episode of dizziness, light headedness, cold sweat etc, loosen your clothing lie down on a flat surface with your legs raised & take fruit juices or drinks rich in salt.

Hope this helps you.