Blood Pressure question

Patient

Q: Is a blood pressure of 136 over 90 with a pulse of 77 bad????

Symptoms:  Coughing, runny nose/ stopped up, Chest pain, throat hurts
Doctor

A:   Hi welcome to Ask The Doctor,

The exact causes of high blood pressure are not known, but several factors and conditions may play a role in its development, including: Smoking, Being overweight or obese, Lack of physical activity, Too much salt in the diet, Too much alcohol consumption (more than 1 to 2 drinks per day), Stress, Older age, Genetics, Family history of high blood pressure, Chronic kidney disease, Adrenal and thyroid disorders.

The average bp is 120/80 but if you normally are 100/60 and you get an average reading there is something wrong. 136/70 isn't a good one though. Your blood pressure should be 120/80 or less. If the diastolic number (the bottom number) goes over 90, you need to have it checked. Your pulse should be somewhere between 70-100.

Hope this helps.