Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Blood sugar values and Diabetes mellitus

Blood sugar values and Diabetes mellitus

Patient: I am not diabetic, but I do check my bs because it has been spiking high at fasting 130 to 242. sometimes 2 hour after meals is 148 and higher. why is this happening:?

Doctor: In order to have a diagnosis of Diabetes mellitus one of the following criteria have to be met1) Fasting blood glucose > 126 mg/dl2) 2 hr post prandial 75 g glucose challenge test blood glucose >200 mg/dl3) Classic symptoms of diabetes : polyphagia, polyuria – increased urination, polydypsia- increased thirst along with a random bld glucose of >200 mg/dlIn your case your fasting glucose ranges from 130-242 which indicates that you may have developed diabetes. You need to consult your physician for a complete physical examination and maybe further testing along with starting either lifestyle changes like exercise, healthier diet , weight reduction and/or medications for diabetes.