Blood test interpretation

Patient

Q: Hello,

My question is more in the field of immunology but I didn't find it in the list.
Today I got the results from the blood tests I did this week and C4 complement is 6.5 (lab normal: 15 - 53) and C3 is 117 (lab normal is 82 - 185). I am scared I may have Hereditary Angioedema (i had 4 episodes of angioedema in the past) or some immunological disease. Can the low C4 complement be harmless or it clearly sugests a disease?

Doctor

Guest: Hi! I've had chronic Idiopathi Angioedema. I've had it for 10 years and I use to get an episode about every 4 to 6 weeks, mine has become so bad that I'm getting it 2 to 4 times a week now. I've had every test out there and the specialists can't find out what is causing mine. I get it in the lips, eyes, sinus cavity, jaw, throat, heels of feet, palms of hands and stomach. A couple of months ago I had 2 seizures within 3 hrs apart and it is the first time I've ever had a seizure, which is rare in adults, according to my Dr so I'm wondering if it's possible that I'm having it so much maybe I had an episode of edema in the brain? I had the MRI yesterday waiting for results. I'm currently prescribed injectable benadryl 3x a day. It helps bc with a tablet it would take over 48 hrs to go away, now they last no longer that about 24 to 30. Mine is idiopathic bc there is no explanation as to why it happens. They just know its not allergys. They think it might be a mutation gene. Good luck to you. If you have any questions I can answer based on my experience. Hope this helps.. At least you have only had the 4 feel thankful for that it could be so much worse. Thats how I get through I know there is someone out there who has it just as hard and have to be positive. I know it's frustrating but you will get through it!! Good luck..