Blood thinner and Creatine

Patient: I am currently taking daily injections of Lovenex, a blood thinner due to clots found in my leg after an injury that occurred in Jan 2010. I have rehabed the muscle and have resumed my normal training habits and would like to begin supplementing Creatine Mononhydrate in my workout. Is this safe to use while still taking the blood thinner?

Doctor: Creatine has been used mainly for improving exercise performance and increasing muscle strength. It has also been used f or muscle disorders (e.g., McArdle’s disease), Parkinson’s disease, and heart failure. Using this product without proper medical care for conditions such as heart failure may cause or worsen serious health problems. Creatine is the same as a substance made by your body that is found mostly in the muscles. It helps to provide energy to the muscles. The FDA have not reviewed this product for safety or effectiveness.Side effects include: Nausea, upset stomach, or diarrhea. Severe allergic reaction to this product is rareĀ  Creatine may interfere with certain laboratory tests (including kidney function tests), possibly causing false test results. There is no documented interaction between the use of blood thinners and taking Creatine supplements in the revised medical literature.

View all posts