BLOOD WORK PLATELETS

Patient

Q: I have a question. I received my blood work results yesterday. I was informed my platelets are slightly high 475. ranges are 150-379. is there anything to be extremely concerned about ? I do have sjrogren's syndrome.

Symptoms:  No symptoms.
Doctor

A:   Hello, Welcome to Ask The Doctor. We are here to help you.
A single reading and test of high platelet count doesn't signify Sjogren's syndrome. In fact we don't rely on one reading of high platelets.
As, that can the sampling error or machine error, we need to repeat a sample to comment further.
Increase in Platelet count (Thrombocytosis) is due to many reasons like Primary causes like Myeloproliferative diseases and Secondary causes like Infection, burn, sepsis, surgery, Iron deficiency anemia.
In case you are suffering from Iron deficiency anemia, that might be the reason behind.
So, i would advice you in such case to wait for two weeks and get a repeat Complete Blood Count with a General Blood Picture. In case, your hemoglobin is normal, and your platelets are still high, you would require a bone marrow examination further.
I hope it helps you.
If you have any further query, please ask me.
Stay Healthy.

Patient: Thanks for your reply . I'm sorry maybe I didn't explain myself correctly . I currently have sjrogrens syndrome I was diagnose a few years back.
Doctor: Hi, In that case , increase in platelet can be a part of Sjogren's and that doesn't require specific treatment but just a regular monitoring.
No specific treatment is indicated.
Good Luck.
Patient: Thanks very much
Doctor: Wish you a very good health. Good luck.