Bloody Nose in Children

Patient

Q: My daughter is 20 months and she is having nose bleeds. She will just be playing and it starts bleeding. Is this a main concern or is it just the weather?

Doctor

A:   Several conditions can result in nose bleeds in children. Most of these conditions can easily be treated and are not a cause for concern. However, you should still have your daughter evaluated by a doctor. The following are some of the more common causes for nose bleeds in children:

Incidental trauma such as nose-picking (especially dry nasal membranes)
Foreign objects
Inflammatory conditions such as rhinitis and sinusitis
Bleeding disorders