x
167 Physicians Online

Question:

Bloody vomit in pediatric patient

My little girl has just vomited and there was blood present in the vomit. What is this due to or is it something to be concerned over?

Answer:

I realize how worried you are about finding blood in your baby’s vomit, let me reassure you that a small quantity of blood in the vomit is usually nothing to worry about, as the force of vomiting can cause tiny tears in the blood vessels lining the esophagus. Your baby's vomit may also be tinged with red if he's swallowed blood from a cut in his mouth or a nosebleed within the last six hours.
I would suggest you to watch for signs of alarm such as dehydration shown as sunken eyes, dry mouth and skin and profound drowsiness. An increase in fluids to replenish the losses is also suggested, if the event repeats again, please seek immediate attention.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA