Blue lips in a toddler

Patient : Sometimes my two year old granddaughter wakes from a nap with blue lips. What might be the cause. I never experienced it with my children.
Doctor :   Thank you for your question. A blue colour to the lips in young infants is indeed a cause for concern. This is caused by a condition known as cyanosis. In infants, cyanosis could be a symptom of a congenital heart defect that causes the reduction of oxygenated blood flow to various parts of the body. We strongly recommend that you take your granddaughter to consult a pediatric cardiologist in order to determine the cause of cyanosis. Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com