Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Body response to Insulin during Viral Fever

Body response to Insulin during Viral Fever

Patient: Dear Doctor, I am a Type-1 diabetic. I am on insulin from past 12 years now. From past few days i am suffering from viral fever and i find that my body has almost stopped responding to insulin . My sugar level has increased to 250 fasting. Though I have increased my dose to double but still after lunch it shoots upto 330. I am really confused. is it normal

Doctor: I do understand your concern. During times of stress or infection the level of cortisol in the body increases. Cortisol is a hormone that regulates glucose metabolism in the body. High levels of cortisol in the body causes hyperglycemia, thus increasing the level of insulin required by your body.I would suggest that yo consult your doctor  for management of the viral infection which the cause of increased insulin requirement.