Body response to Insulin during Viral Fever

Patient

Q: Dear Doctor, I am a Type-1 diabetic. I am on insulin from past 12 years now. From past few days i am suffering from viral fever and i find that my body has almost stopped responding to insulin . My sugar level has increased to 250 fasting. Though I have increased my dose to double but still after lunch it shoots upto 330. I am really confused. is it normal

Doctor

A:   I do understand your concern. During times of stress or infection the level of cortisol in the body increases. Cortisol is a hormone that regulates glucose metabolism in the body. High levels of cortisol in the body causes hyperglycemia, thus increasing the level of insulin required by your body.
I would suggest that yo consult your doctor  for management of the viral infection which the cause of increased insulin requirement.