Bone marrow compatibility

Patient : To be a bone marrow donor do you first have to match the patients blood type?
Doctor :   To be Bone Marrow donor, not only the Blood type is tested for compatibility. The most important factor is a protein cal led HLA. This protein is very specific and usually in the family of the patient requiring the transplant, only 30 % of the times a close match is found. Therefore finding a close match for donating bone marrow might be difficult even with close relatives. I hope I cleared your doubt.