Borderline Personality Disorder medication and weigh loss effects

Patient

Q: I have recently been diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder. They want to put me on a combination of medication that they have used in the past to treat depression. I am underweight and it has showed especially in my face. I am concerned that I will lose more weight. I am too thin as is.

Doctor

A:   Most of the antidepressants cause weight gain and not weight loss, so your concern that these medications causing further weight loss is unwarranted. I hope this helps, take care.