x
166 Physicians Online

Question:

Bowel movements occurring after every time I eat

When ever I eat, I have a bowel movement 5 to 10 minutes later. It is just like it goes right through me. Stomach pains right after I eat.

Answer:

The majority of people move their bowels once per day, but in fact it is quite variable. What is normal for one person may be abnormal for another, and vice versa. The normal range varies from 3 times per day to 3 times per week. If you move your bowels 5 to 10 minutes after every time you eat, you more than likely have > 5 stools per day, which is abnormal. Because this is associated with abdominal pain, it may be a sign of an underlying bowel disorder such as inflammatory bowel disease or irritable bowel syndrome. I would advise attending your family doctor for a detailed history and clinical examination, to diagnose the problem in your case.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA