Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Bowel movements once in 3 days : Is it normal?

Bowel movements once in 3 days : Is it normal?

Patient: I was wondering if its normal to poo once every 3 days, i rarely poo and thought it was normal until i discovered most of my friends 1 to 3 times a day. I eat a normal proportion of food like pasta pizza etc

Doctor: Different individuals have different metabolisms and thus will have a different rythym of bowel movements. If you have a lways had a bowel movement once in 3 days then this is not a cause of concern. However you could improve your diet by including more sources of fibre like whole wheat, bran , green vegetables and fresh fruits which will help regularize the frequency of your bowel movements better. All the best.