x
65 Physicians Online

Question:

Boyfriend has herpes, how high are the chances of me getting it?

My boyfriend just told me he has herpes, we havent slept together yet but if we do, how high are the chances of me getting it?

Answer:

There are two types of Herpes Virus : Herpesvirus type 1 (HSV-1), which is transmitted primarily by contact with infected saliva and Herpesvirus type 2 (HSV-2) which is usually sexually transmitted. So if your boyfriend had HSV 1 then there may be a risk of you getting the infection. It is unlikely that you would get HSV 2 infection though.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.