Boyfriend Refuses To Eat

Q: My boyfriend for the past 10 days has refused to eat. He is currently living off of Gatorade, Protein Shakes Etc. (drinks only) .He says that he isn't doing it to lose weight but that food just doesn't taste good anymore and if he does eat he throws it up. He complains about stomach pains and that his insides feel weak. I've told him to get help but he refuses. His hands are boney and you can obviously tell that he is loosing weight.

Symptoms:  Loss of weight,

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

There are many disorders that can cause a person to have a bad taste and not want to eat. Here are a few of them:
Peptic ulcers

He needs to see a Doctor to get evaluated for this. It may be possible for you to get him to the hospital by getting a psychiatric hold or psychiatric consult. He may then be required to see a Doctor as long as you feel that he is putting his life in danger. My advice is that you talk to a Doctor and decide the best course of action.

The law on this changes from place to place and it would be good to know the rules about it without violating any rights. Wishing you and your boyfriend the best.