BP patient -sore throat cough and giddiness. Heart normal.

Patient: Hi, my father is suffering from sore throat from past few weeks and by his voice you can feel the cough. He feels giddiness. He is having high blood pressure from more than 25 years. Two days back he visited a heart specialist and everything is normal. Please suggest what is the issue?

Symptoms: Sore throat, cough and giddiness

Doctor: HelloWelcome to Ask The Doctor. We are here to help you.Your father seems to be suffering from Upper Respiratory t ract infection (URTI) associated with Acute Laryngitis. The way you are describing his cough, he might have developed associated Lower Respiratory Tract Infection (LRTI) that can be an Acute Bronchitis or Pneumonia.I would advise in such scenario, to get his Chest X-Ray done. Also, your doctor will evaluate him for any evidence of congestion in his chest. If his chest auscultation reveals Wheezes / Rhonchi, he would require Nebulization or bronchodilators based on the severity of congestion. If he is found to have Pneumonia or if he has an ongoing fever, he would require antibiotics like Azithromycin or Amoxycillin. He should also do warm saline gargles and steam inhalation. Tablet Paracetamol is given on as or when required basis for fever and body pains.Since he has hypertension, then bronchodilators like Salbutamol, Deriphylline should be used with precautions.Share my opinion with your doctor before you act upon it.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy.