Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > BP suddenly shoots up.

BP suddenly shoots up.

Patient: Issue: Blood Pressure suddenly shoots up.Question: I am 30 years old, 78 kg in weight and 185 cm in height. Beginning of the year, during a check up, the GP found out my blood pressure was quite high, 135/82. However, he did not prescribe me any meds but just suggested me to change the life-style. Since that I have been regularly doing exercise and trying my best to cut salt intake. So far my blood pressure looks pretty good, around 118/74. However, there are times at night the pressure suddenly goes up to 140/90 or 182/90 without any changes in my daily routine and it returns back to normal the next day. It hit without any symptoms. May I know what are the possible reasons for the sudden spike and do I need to do any checkups? Thank you very much for your help.

Doctor: Thanks for consulting us. It seems you have developed full blown hypertension and lifestyle modification is not at all s ufficient at this stage. It require antihypertension medication along with lifestyle modification measures. Sudden fluctuation of blood pressure have many reasons and require prompt medical attention to treat before end organ damage (kidney, heart, brain). Consult your GP for further advice. Have a nice day.