Braxton Hicks at 31 weeks

Patient

Q: I need to know weather I should call my doc or not. Im 31 weeks and having cramping. My aunt told me its just braxton hicks but I herd they don't really hurt. I have slightly painful cramping in the front and back but I'm not in so much pain towhere I'm crying. What should I do or wwhat's going on with me?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. The description of your cramping requires a some more clarification to determine whether you are having Braxton Hicks contractions or contractions of labor. In general, braxton hicks contractions is a normal phenomenon that occurs in the latter half of pregnancy when the muscles of the uterus are preparing for labor. In general braxton hicks contractions are less intense, infrequent, and often stop after a short duration and change in body position. Contractions of labor are more painful, frequent, and increase in frequency and intensity as labor progresses.

If you are worried about your cramping we would recommend that you call your doctor and give them a more detailed description of your symptoms, including the onset, frequency, intensity, and whether you are having any vaginal discharge, pelvic pain, bleeding, or if your water has broken.

Hope this helps and thank you for choosing askthedoctor.com