Breast augmentation and general anesthesia

Patient

Q: Hi I getting a breast augmentation and wanted to know if I should be worried about getting general anesthesia if my lung collapsed few years ago?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question.

Congratulations on your decision to undergo breast augmentation surgery. General anesthetics are extremely safe. Given your history of a collapsed lung, it is advisable to have a pre-operative consultation with anesthesia so they can take a history and physical examination, and order a chest x-ray. After meeting with the anesthetist, they will give you a better understanding of the risks associated with undergoing a general anesthetic with your history. Also, they may elect to use an LMA (laryngeal mask airway) in place of an endotracheal tube to decrease the pressure on the lungs.

It is important to discuss this with your surgeon and the anesthetist before the surgery.

Thank you