Breast augmentation following pregnancy

Patient

Q: I had a baby 3 months ago. Is it okay to get breast implants?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question.

During and after pregnancy, breast size and shape can change significantly. Many women will experience a large increase in breast size during pregnancy and breast feeding, which reverts once nursing ceases. My recommendation would be to wait at least 6 months following the completion of breast feeding to allow the breasts to return to the size and shape they were pre-pregnancy. Often, patients may require both an augmentation (implant) and a lift (mastopexy) to elevate the breast tissue and the nipple position.
Your plastic surgeon can discuss your options with you in consultation.