x
61 Physicians Online

Question:

Breast feeding and yeast infections

What are the side effectsof using a over the counter yeast infection treatment when you are breast feeding?

Answer:

Thrush is a fungal infection caused by the organism Candida albicans which can occur in the nipples and/or breast tissue. Often, the baby will display symptoms as well with white patches in the mouth or on the tongue, fussiness, extensive diaper rash. Usually both the mother and the baby are treated simultaneously for thrush. Mothers may require a topic antifungal cream like nystatin or systemic medication like oral difulcan. The baby may also be treated with nystatin paint.
Difulcan (fluconazole ) is safe to to be used in breastfeeding mothers.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.