Breast hurting and missed period

Patient

Q: My girlfriend told me today her breast hurt and that her nipples were a bit bigger than normal
We had unprotected sex about 4 weeks ago she also missed her period we took the test and it came up negative
What are other reasons that could cause ger to have missed her period and make her breast hurt

Symptoms:  Missed period breast hurt
Doctor

Thanks for contacting askthedoctor.com
If she has missed her period and yet the pregnancy test performed is negative then she is not pregnant . However due to various stressors both emotional and psychological due to school , college or peers during the cycle can change the hormonal status and can delay menses which is probably what has happened in her case.

The symptoms of breast tenderness could be a part of premenstrual syndrome which may mimic pregnancy in form of mood swings, increased frequency of urine, low abdominal cramps, nausea, headache etc but are not due to pregnancy. They subside once the menses resume. So it is advised that she should wait for few days to a week to allow her menses to start naturally and not be stressed.

I hope i have answered your query in detail.
Wishing you good health,
regards