Breast implants after coumadin

Patient

Q: IS it safe for me to have breast implant surgery? I stopped taking coumadin one week ago. I had a blood clot in my superficial vein but it is gone now. The doctor took me off of the birth control pills then. I would like to have implant surgery soon. How long do I need to be off of the coumadin?

Doctor

A:   The effects of coumadin normally resolve three to four days after the medication is stopped. A simple blood test can be done prior to surgery to determine if your blood is clotting normally. You should then be able to have your breast implant surgery.