Breast is red and irritated

Q: I Stopped breastfeeding and tried using pads to stop the leaking
But it made it itchy and I itched no its all red around my nipple what do i do I put neosporin hoping it would help but still hurts

Symptoms:  Red around nipple kinda of hurts

Breast feeding practice should never be stopped abruptly, instead the frequency should be decreased with every week slowly such that bodily prolactin production is reduced slowly over the weeks due to lesser suckling by the baby and also the milk production is slowly kept in check.
Presently, what has happened is due to clogging and accumulation of milk in the ducts and redness around nipples indicate the onset of development of inflammatory features. It may be just secondary to moisture of milk discharge and frictional injury of the pads having caused the infection, but it is necessary to be ruled out by the physician and if possible breast have to be emptied to avoid any abscess formation.
I hope i have answered your query in detail,