Breast reduction for cosmetic improvement

Q: Can anyone get breast reduction for cosmetic improvement, even if they have c size breasts.

A:   Thank you for your question.

Breast reduction surgery is a covered procedure under most health care insurance plans. The procedure often requires pre-operative approval and is based on a set criteria. The size of breasts is not as important as the symptoms that the patient is experiencing. When you meet with your plastic surgeon, they will ask you about neck, back and shoulder pain, and inquire about rashes and excoriations under the breasts in the breast crease. Shoulder grooving from bra straps is often a tell tale sign. Also, it is important for the surgeon to understand the difficulty in daily life that large breasts pose for the patient.

If you do not experience these symptoms, breast reduction surgery will not be covered by insurance but the plastic surgeon can still do the operation for cosmetic improvement. Often patients with C cup breast size are seeking a small reduction, with more emphasis on a lift. This is known as a mastopexy and allows the surgeon to lift both the position of the breast and the nipple.

It would be advisable to make an appointment with a plastic surgeon to discuss your options based on your specific cosmetic and functional goals.