Breathing/throat problems

Patient: Hello, I’m a 25 y.o male (non-smoker). I wake up every morning with my throat having a tickle, inflamed or as if it’s coated with something (mucus?), coughing, wheezing and shortness of breath. I’ve been taking Mucinex for the last 3 days and it’ll help through out the day. During the day i would still have a tickle in my throat which causes my to cough so much i start to gag, then my throat will feel like it’s closing up. I would barely cough mucus, i’m assuming because of the Mucinex. Even at night when i take my 2nd dose of Mucinex (1 every 12 hrs) I would still wake up feeling the same symptoms as always. I have been diagnosed with reactive airway disease, which only happens when i’m really active like running or doing something straining (repeatedly lifting heavy stuff). I have an appointment with my physician in a week. I’m just wondering what i could do in the mean time. I loathe having this constant cough and tickle in my throat which sometimes triggers all the other symptoms. What do you recommend i do?

Symptoms: Throat having a tickle, inflamed, coughing, wheezing and shortness of breath, feeling congested (chest)

Doctor: Thank you for writing to us.What you are seems to be a lung disorder. This is not a simple throat infection but some thing slightly more complex. Here are a few possibilities:BronchitisPneumoniaAsthmaYou can reach this diagnosis by getting lung function tests. Also, your Doctor can reach the diagnosis by taking an examination and medical history. Hope this helps you.All the best.