Breathing/throat problems

Patient

Q: Hello, I'm a 25 y.o male (non-smoker). I wake up every morning with my throat having a tickle, inflamed or as if it's coated with something (mucus?), coughing, wheezing and shortness of breath. I've been taking Mucinex for the last 3 days and it'll help through out the day. During the day i would still have a tickle in my throat which causes my to cough so much i start to gag, then my throat will feel like it's closing up. I would barely cough mucus, i'm assuming because of the Mucinex. Even at night when i take my 2nd dose of Mucinex (1 every 12 hrs) I would still wake up feeling the same symptoms as always. I have been diagnosed with reactive airway disease, which only happens when i'm really active like running or doing something straining (repeatedly lifting heavy stuff). I have an appointment with my physician in a week. I'm just wondering what i could do in the mean time. I loathe having this constant cough and tickle in my throat which sometimes triggers all the other symptoms. What do you recommend i do?

Symptoms:  Throat having a tickle, inflamed, coughing, wheezing and shortness of breath, feeling congested (chest)
Doctor

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

What you are seems to be a lung disorder. This is not a simple throat infection but something slightly more complex. Here are a few possibilities:
Bronchitis
Pneumonia
Asthma

You can reach this diagnosis by getting lung function tests. Also, your Doctor can reach the diagnosis by taking an examination and medical history. Hope this helps you.

All the best.