Breathless in Oklahoma

Q: I have been a runner for 18 years. Within the past year I have found it increasingly difficult to breath while running. Now am able to only run a short distance before stopping. Am 66 years old and have had a pacemaker (brachycardia) for 9 years.

Symptoms:  Difficult to catch me breath when exercising, nighttime headaches which wake me almost every night, frequent (sometimes urgent) urination.

A:   Hi.
Thanks for your query.
Read and understood your history. .

To recapitulate: 66 years - pacemaker (brachycardia) for 9 years - runner for 18 years - increasing difficulty to breath while running - can run only short distances - Also have night time headaches which wake you up almost every night - frequent and sometimes urgent urination.

As per the history, you have provided this looks to be either the cardiac problem or the respiratory problem.
I would advise in such a situation the following:
You need a thorough clinical evaluation, examination and related tests.
Clinical evaluation by a Cardiologist and Pulmonologist.
Tests of Cardiac workup, pulmonary function tests.
Tests of blood and urine.
Ultrasonography of the whole abdomen particularly for the urinary system.

All these lead to a perfect diagnosis to find the cause of your problems and hence can be well treated.

I hope this answer helps you to get a proper and early diagnosis and proper treatment.