Bright red bleeding after surgical abortion

Q: Hi, i had a surgical abortion just over 3 weeks ago, i had light bleeding for around 3 weeks but the past couple of days the bleeding has got heavier and is a bright red colour, it is more like blood when you cut yourself to when you have a period. Is this normal? Thanks

A:   Depending on the stage of the pregnancy when it iwas terminated, you may have bleeding for some tiem after the abortion. The bleeding you are experiencing is the lining of the uterus being shed. The uterine wall increased in thickness in anticipation of the growing fetus but is now being shed as the fetus was terminated. This bleeding will resolve on its own. If it does not, or you develop dizziness, weakness, shortness of breath, you should see a doctor immediately.