Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Broke my ring finger while wrestling

Broke my ring finger while wrestling

Patient: Hello my name is Chris I am 15 years old, about 4 Months ago I broke my ring finger wrestling and I went to the hospital and they taped my ring finger to my middle finger and said I should change the tape regularly for about 6 weeks but one day I just took of the tape (2 weeks in) and thought it was healed but in fact it healed very crooked and is very noticeable. I haven’t taped it ever since but I just went to my Pediatrician today and she recommended me to get an Xray, and so I did but she said nothing was broken or fractured my finger just healed like this. Wat do you recommend me doing? Is it too late to buddy tape it? Please If you can help me I would approve it, Thank You -Chris

Doctor: Thank you for choosing ATD.You have had a malunion of the bones in the finger. In this, the bones end up fixing them selves in a deformed way. This happens when the bones are put back close together but not aligned perfectly. If you have this, but it does not have any symptoms, then you might want to leave it the way it is.The alternative to this is to break the finger and then set the bone again. This has to be done by an Orthopedist. After the procedure, you will have to give time for the finger to heal.Avoid exercise till the finger heals.Wish you a quick recovery. All the best.